PsychArmor Institute CEO & Founder
Morrison is a California Licensed Marriage Family Therapist, a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, and a PPS-credentialed school counselor and School Psychologist. She is the author of the book, The Inside Battle: Our Military Mental Health Crisis, and has written numerous editorials on the field of military mental health featured in TIME, Newsweek, The Daily Beast, Huffington Post, and several others. Morrison is often featured as a subject matter expert, speaking publicly throughout the country and has been interviewed on several local and national television and radio programs, including BBC, NBC, FOX, CBS, and NPR.
Marjorie Morrison, LMFT, LPCC, is the CEO of the PsychArmor Institute, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization she founded in 2014, which is committed to bridging the military-civilian divide by creating, promoting, and distributing free online courses covering a wide range of topics important to those who support the military community. As a licensed psychotherapist who also practiced on several military bases, Marjorie created PsychArmor armed with firsthand knowledge of the challenges faced by the 90% of Americans who haven’t served, but live with, work with, and care for members of the military. Her passion for supporting caregivers, employers, educators, volunteers, health providers, and family members of those who serve or have served drives her work, and has influenced the development of PsychArmor from just an idea, to an organization with 35 fulltime staff members, and more than 165 courses covering eight separate topic areas. Marjorie’s vision for PsychArmor has led to numerous awards and recognition from organizations like the VA, DoD, SAMHSA, and others.
Marjorie’s focus on supporting members of the military and their communities was first developed in the field, after she spent a year writing and implementing revolutionary proactive counseling programs for the U.S. Marines. After working with 500 Marine drill instructors, her innovative study continued at Camp Pendleton, where she had access to hundreds of Marines to interview and learn from. This research was utilized to create a groundbreaking solution to approach military mental health care.
A California Licensed Marriage Family Therapist, a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, and a PPS-credentialed school counselor and School Psychologist, she leveraged the knowledge she gained working with the Marines to write The Inside Battle: Our Military Mental Health Crisis, and has been featured as a subject matter expert by TIME, Newsweek, The Daily Beast, Huffington Post, BBC, NBC, FOX, CBS, and NPR. She also serves on the board of Veteran Success Resource Group.
Today, Marjorie travels across the country to amplify the PsychArmor mission, and to establish working relationships with individuals and organizations that touch the lives of Veterans and their families. It is because of her leadership that PsychArmor has made rapid progress toward its goals. Through her work, she has secured millions of dollars in funding from national sponsors and corporate partners, and has built the largest free, online course library on these topics in existence today. As a result, PsychArmor has educated over 250,000 people, and directly and indirectly improved the quality of life for thousands of military members and their families.
Most recently, Marjorie announced the formation of her next venture, PsychHub, which will revolutionize the way people access care for mental health conditions, and how clinicians treat patients.
Military Psychological Press
- The One-Five-15 Challenge
- To Whom It May Concern
- Six Degrees of Broken Washington
- Are Our Vets Getting a Bum Rap?
- Our Military Mental Health Crisis: A Case for Proactive Counseling
The Daily Beast
- Fixing Military Mental Health
- When Veteran’s Day is over, the Real Work Goes On
- Cracking Down on Military Rapes
- A Proactive New Response to the Service-Member Suicide Crisis
- Suicide Crisis: Why the Military Needs Mandatory Mental Health Services
- Are Soldier and Gridiron Suicides Linked?
- Veterans Are Only Part of the Challenge
- An Outsider Takes a Peek Inside
- PsychArmor: Educating Civilians About Military Life, CBS 8 San Diego
- Support for Our Veterans: Understanding Military Life and Culture, San Diego Living
- San Diego Nonprofit Launches Online Course About Helping Veterans, KPBS
- Helpline Offers Way to Better Support Veterans, NBC 7 San Diego
- PsychArmor Helps Civilians Learn About PTSD, Fox 5 San Diego
- United States Army Afraid of Discussing PTSD, BBC World News Radio
- The Pentagon’s Latest War Against Mental Illness. NPR “To The Point”
- Jumping Over Roadblocks: Inside PTSD and the Military Bureaucracy, The Take Away with John Hockenberry, NPR
- US Army and PTSD, BBC World News Radio
- Active Duty Ignored, Huff Post Live
- Drunken Patriotism, Huff Post Live
- Good Morning San Diego