The Cost of Caring
The Cost of Caring
INSTRUCTOR: Heidi Squier Kraft, Ph.D.; Clinical Director, PsychArmor Institute
TIME: 60 Minutes
Gain an understanding of the effects of secondary traumatic stress, compassion fatigue, and burnout on mental health professionals. Learn how future mental health professionals are being trained in graduate programs to work with military, Veterans, and their families. Review the implications of working with clients who have experience with trauma. Reexamine risk-management, negligence, and malpractice.
- Mental Health
- Military Cultural Competency
- Compassion Fatigue
Web-Based Training, Self-Study (Online)
One Continuing Education Credit / One Clock Hour
COURSE RELEASE DATE
October 21, 2015
This course is intended for social workers, psychologists, marriage and family therapists, counselors, and other mental health professionals providing care for Service members and Veterans.
OUTCOMES & OBJECTIVES
- Explain the difference between compassion fatigue and burnout
- List three symptoms associated with burnout
- Discuss the positive and negative effects of shared trauma
- Apply and assess the three categories of compassion satisfaction techniques in your life
REGISTRATION/PARTICIPATION IN ACTIVITY PROCEDURES
- Length of Course: One Hour
- Review program schedule
- Register for course on PsychArmor's Virtual Learning Management System
- Attend and participate in 100% of program activity and evaluation
STATEMENT OF PARTICIPATION
A certificate of completion will be awarded to participants and accreditation records will be on file at PsychArmor Institute. In order to receive a certificate of completion from PsychArmor, learners must register in PsychArmor's learning management system, attend 100% of the program and complete the evaluations as directed in PsychArmor's course To inquire about CE's, contact CE@PsychArmor.org and provide your name, email, and license number.
- Introduction and overview of course (5 Minutes)
- Overview of compassion fatigue and compassion stress (10 Minutes)
- Review of symptoms associated with burnout, compassion fatigue, and secondary trauma (10 Minutes)
- Description of shared trauma, including the pros and cons (15 Minutes)
- Review of self-care and resilient providers (10 Minutes)
- Final reflection (10 Minutes)
References are available for this course upon request at Support@psycharmor.org
Start taking this course right now by registering your free account in our learning management system.
If you're already member use the link below to log into your existing account.